Saturday, May 30, 2015

May 29: 15,635 steps in Córdoba, Argentina

Today is our last day in Córdoba, and our last day in Argentina. Last night was rough, so I’m very tired and I don’t have a lot of energy. Kristi and I spent the morning in a café while the rest of the group went on a walking tour. I decided to stay back because I wouldn’t be able to keep up all day. Kristi stayed behind with me, what a pal. Ana gave me some medicine to help with the drainage and congestion. It was a pill that dissolves pretty quickly. Ana said to either take it or put it in some lemon tea and drink that once it dissolves. I tried to just take the pill then almost choked on it because it started dissolving so quickly, so I went for the tea route. The tea didn’t taste the best, but the hot liquid felt good on my throat.

As Kristi and I were leaving the café to go meet up with the group, we heard loud banging. There was a bus full of people holding Argentina flags out of the windows chanting, and others on the bus were banging on drums. The bus was stopped in the street, and in front of it people were setting off firework bangs into the air. They must have been doing some find of protest. It was very loud. We wanted to stop and watch but at the same time we didn’t want to get ourselves into any trouble, so we kept walking.

We met up with the rest of the group at the downtown building for the college we visited yesterday. The dean of the school gave us a lecture on his most recent residential project. Today was also his birthday, so we sang to him!


For lunch we all went to an empanada place. We were all sitting at different tables because our party was too big, Judy, Ana, Ally, Paige, Kristi, and I were at a table together. Our waiter was a short plump little man, and he must have been in a bad mood because he treated us poorly. He came up to ask our order and we al told Ana what we wanted so she could translate. Once he realized we couldn’t speak English he got flustered and made Ana write down the order. Then whenever she asked him a question about something on the menu he got angry at her for not knowing. Ana told us from the beginning we will not be giving him a tip.

After we placed our orders Ana was telling us a funny story about Judy from last night. Ana, Judy, Ege, and Spodek went out for dinner and Judy was telling them how in China (she is Chinese) they eat really big breakfasts, and the small hostel breakfast was not going to be enough for her, so she wanted to order an additional cheeseburger for dinner to eat in the morning. Spodek was trying to convince her otherwise and she told him “I am Chinese. I am hungry.” Ana got a kick out of that and was cracking up telling us the story.

The grumpy waiter came back to ask Ally what side she wanted with her meal. Ana translated for her and told Ally to keep changing her mind, just to mess with the waiter. He ended up walking away and coming back a minute or so later.

Once we finished eating we added up our meal total for the bill. They don’t do taxes here so what is on the menu is the total. All of us combined total was $379 pesos. After having to wave him down about 4 times, the grumpy waiter told us an amount for our bill ($430 pesos). He didn’t actually give us a check that had this total. So Ana asked him for a printed copy to compare our totals with his. He had overcharged us. So Ana argued with him until she got her way and we paid the amount we had totaled up, not the grumpy waiter’s total. She sure knows how to take of us down here!

After lunch we got some ice cream and picked up our laundry. I feel so fresh and so clean now! I rerolled all of my clothes and shoved them into my packing cubes in my backpack suitcase. Surprisingly everything still fits, even with the small souvenirs I’ve gotten. I’ve just been putting them in my shoes when I pack.

Afterwards Paige and Ally took me and Kristi on the same walking tour they went on this morning, just a more accelerated version. We saw Iglesia del Sagrado Corazón, Museo de Bellas Artes Evita, and best of all Centro Cultural Córdoba. The building is set into the ground so people can walk all over the sloping roof. We raced up the big slope to the top. Kristi won.








On the way home from our walking tour we stopped by a market to get some snacks for the bus ride, and I found some halls cough drops! It’s the little things that mean so much when traveling abroad. Once we were all packed up we all walked the 15 minute hike to the bus terminal. I had my big green backpacker bag on my pack, and my portable small backpack on my front. I took up a lot of space in this get up. Plus I was holding a half full 2 liter bottle of water.

Once at the bus station Ana got us all some little chocolate treats, which were delicious. We had about an hour to kill at the bus station, so Kristi and I went to a restaurant that was similar to Steak n Shake. I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich and a tea with lemon again. This time the waiter brought out squeezed lemon juice in a little shot glass sized cup. Once I got my tea made I just went for it and dumped all of the lemon juice in the tea. I instantly regretted my decision. I took a sip and it was on a higher level than a sour patch kid. There was no going back though, so I put 3 packets of sugar in it. That made it more bearable.

After that we went to the bus. We got in line to put our bags under the bus, and I heard some commotion towards the front of the line. By the time I got towards the front, I learned that people were upset because we had to tip the bus bag loader. A couple people tried to load their bags themselves, but the guy wouldn’t let them and took their bags from them. Kristi was in line in front of me and the guy took her bag and loaded it. She wasn’t going to tip him but he refused to give her her bag ticket until she gave him money. Ana was not having any of that. She gave him a piece of her mind. She was not upset about tipping the guy, but that he expected and demanded a tip.

So after that incident, I boarded the bus. Bus is an understatement. This thing is like the Taj Mahal on wheels. Our seats were like first class airplane seats. They leaned back super far and we had little feet props. I am pretty pleased as I sit here now typing from this luxurious spot.

Since I have some time now I thought I would reflect on the trip thus far. Today is officially the half way point in the trip, day 13 of 25. I have to say if it weren’t for Kristi I for sure would have lost my shit before now. She has held me together. Of the many moments I have had to vent or almost wanted to break down, she held my fragile little pieces together. She has made me drink coffee, and I kind of like it. I am sad when she is far away. Right now on this bus we are not sitting next to each other, and it is weird. We have discussed what we will do the day after we get back from South America if she isn’t sick of me. We will sleep in a big comfy bed, go eat pancakes and coffee for breakfast, float in a pool, then watch modern family and do nothing. It will be glorious.

I have compiled a list of things I am looking forward to when I return home:

My mom and dad’s voices
My full size not bunk bed with warm fleece blanket
Temperature and humidity controlled living space
Clean laundry
Talking to Mimi on the phone
Television, Netflix, and Harry Potter on DVD
Having wifi
My own room and shower
Hugging Brian
Fresh fruit and lettuce that is safe to eat
Water that is just water, not “agua con gas” in a bottle
English speaking
Cheap McDonald’s
Consistency in my schedule
American money
Burying my nose in a clean towel
My non flea infested dogs on leashes
Pancakes
Sleeping in

I have also compiled a list of things I will miss about South America after we leave:

The culture
People always out and about
Attempting to speak Spanish
Looking forward to new places
Hanging out with Kristi 24/7
Meeting and getting to know the students I am traveling with
Going out to dinner and coffee with the professors
Dogs everywhere
Platform shoes
Being humbled by living out of a bag
Being unplugged from the world
Café con leche y medialunas
Taking pictures of new exciting things
Trying to sketch
Mate
Blogging
Testing my comfort zone
Souvenir shopping
Empanadas 

No comments:

Post a Comment