Sunday, May 17, 2015

May 17: Indianapolis -> Miami -> Montevideo, Uruguay on a Plane

Just took off from Miami! Officially won’t be back in the United States for 25 days! So I guess with the blog thing I am supposed to discuss the trip, my experiences, and my feelings along the way. Personally, I would rather just talk about my feelings and experiences with another human being rather than try to form sentences on a computer, but I’m open to trying new things.

We flew from Indianapolis to Miami, and I am currently on an overnight plane from Miami to Montevideo, Uruguay. We were served dinner and breakfast on this plane. Dinner was hot rice and chicken (with a slight plastic flavor to it), cheese and crackers, carmel brownie, roll with butter, and a little tiny salad with dressing. They even served it on a little tray! And breakfast was orange juice, strawberry yogurt, and a warm cinnamon muffin (also served on tiny tray).

Luckily this flight isn’t even half full, so almost everyone on the plane has a row to themselves to sprawl out on and sleep. They gave us a little packet with a pillow and blanket in it. I plan on keeping the blanket.

On my flight from Indianapolis to Miami, I sat next to a guy who worked at Indiana State University. He was flying down to the Amazon for a couple of weeks to do some sort of research. I told him about our trip and he had been to a few of the place we were headed.

This is my first study abroad experience. Now don’t get me wrong, I have traveled to a lot of places, mostly in the United States. I have ventured out to Canada and Mexico, but on the majority of those trips I was merely a tourist. This will be my first time being a “traveler.” This will be my first time leaving the continent I have called home for the past 23 years of my life. This will be the first time I have traveled without my family and instead with a group of mostly strangers, with the exception of one close friend (Kristi Pearson) and two professors I have been fortunate enough to have in classes during my undergraduate education. This will be the first time I have been put in a situation where I can’t “back out” and go back to my comfort zone.

This trip will challenge me. It will test my patience, my taste buds, my comfort level, my reliance on material possessions, and my ability to trust and rely on myself as well as the people I will be spending every waking moment with.

I have a tendency to rely on other people, which isn’t always a bad thing. But as I have recognized this in myself over the past few years, I have noticed more and more that I can’t just go and do things for myself or by myself. I always like to have a pal with me. Maybe it’s the extrovert in me, or maybe it’s because I get lonely without having people around a lot. I wouldn’t have even came on this trip if Kristi hadn’t also been going, simply because I would have been afraid to try something like this by myself. I always say, “I’ll do just about anything, as long as I have someone to do it with me.”

I have even noticed how much I rely on social media as a form of human interaction. Why else do we post things on social media? Just for our own amusement? No. Because we want to show other people what we are doing and win their approval through it. And I know I do it. We all do it some way or another. Which is why during the course of this trip, I am unplugging from all forms of connection to the world (expect this blog, obviously, and a few people back home). No facebook. No instagram. No snapchat. Rather than thinking about how I can show my experience on this trip to other people via social media, I’m just going to experience it!

I want to teach myself to experience this world. How to look at a tree and see it for its beauty rather than its worth. How to smell fresh air and recognize the difference in it rather than just inhale it. How to immerse myself in a new culture and appreciate it rather than compare it to what I am familiar with. Too often do I find myself thinking that what I know and what I am familiar with is the best solution to life, which is far from the truth. I know very little about this world and the people that inhabit it. I want to learn about their lives and discover how I can better myself as a person as a result.

This trip, for me, is about self-growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment