Monday, May 25, 2015

May 24: 28,673 steps in Buenos Aires, Argentina

This morning we took a bus to Recoleta, which is a neighborhood of Buenos Aires city. It was definitely a nicer part of town. Not that the inner city wasn’t, it was just less crowded and more open, with less cars and more green space. We looked at the Biblioteca Nacional Mariano Moreno, then Paige, Kristi, Ana and I got a much needed Starbucks. I was in need of something American and warm, because it was chillier today at 60ish degrees.



As we kept walking around we found a gomero tree, which was a giant tree with long branches that reached the ground in multiple places. It felt like a canopy when we walked underneath it. Definitely would have been fun to run around and play on it if you were a kid.



We went to the Cementerio de la Recoleta next, which is a giant cemetery for the wealthier people of the community. It has been around since 1816, and it is set up with family names on each of the “mausoleums” so there are multiple spaces for coffins as people of the family die. There was even a funeral going on today, so it appears that the cemetery is still “active” in a sense that they are still putting people’s coffins in the tombs. It was a bizarre setup to me because it felt like a normal town street, with little houses along the sides. There wasn’t a field of grass with tombstones scattered about like the states. And in a lot of the mausoleums you could see into the inside and see the coffins. That was so strange to me since we burry a coffin in the ground never to be seen again. I guess it makes sense in a way because at least if they are spending a decent amount of money on a nice coffin, then when family members come to pay their respects, they will see it still. We spend money on a fancy coffin only for it to be visible for a couple of days. At least they are getting their money’s worth this way!



This graveyard is also where Eva (Evita) Perón (1919 – 1952) is buried, the wife of Argentine president Juan Perón. She was the first lady of Argentina from 1946 until her death from cancer in 1952. She was loved by all of the people and even to this day people still remember her through various symbols throughout the city.

After the cemetery we walked through the market and admired all of the craftsmanship of the vendors. I bought an engraved piece of artwork. I want to try to collect a painting/type of artwork from each place that we visit. Something small, but I think it is so cool to see the different styles of art and the various subject matters that the artists focus in on. Also artwork is flat or can be rolled, so it makes for easy transportation on a carry-on bag!

On the bus ride back into downtown we drove by a huge line of soldiers on horses. Argentina’s Independence Day is tomorrow, so we assumed the soldiers had something to do with that. We found out later that this processional was actually because they were transporting a very important saber from hundreds of years ago. Apparently even the current president of Argentina was involved with it!

After we got back into downtown we walked around the San Telmo market, which was also full of vendors and various street performers. It was crowded but really cool to see all of the different types of people the market draws in. Some people were even able to speak English with us!



While walking through the market Kristi and I stumbled on another church, Parroquia San Elmo. (Kristi pictured below) Then we went to the market to get lunch, which consisted of bananas, a loaf of bread, a ham and cheese sandwich, and churros.


After lunch were supposed to meet up with Ana and Spodek to all go to Palermo, After waiting in front of Ana’s apartment for them for 40 minutes, we decided to go on our own. So we rode a bus to Palermo, another wealthier neighborhood within Buenos Aires. We underestimated how long it would take to get there by bus, because it was about a 30-40 minute ride. But once we finally made it, we walked through the botanical gardens, looked at the zoo (but did not go in because it was too expensive), and walked down to a side street to go through their street market, where we ended up finding Ana and Spodek.


Ana took us to see a clothing store that a couple of her architecture friends from The University of Buenos Aires designed in the neighborhood. It was a really cool modern design, but we weren’t allowed to take pictures. We all walked into the store cameras ready when 2 of the employees rushed up to us and said something in Spanish, but were motioning at the cameras, so we figured out that they didn’t want us taking pictures. So we obeyed and continued walking into the tiny store. We walked up a big ramp to the main portion of the store. There was another monumental ramp that lead up to the next level, so naturally we kept walking up, but again were scolded (in Spanish) that we shouldn’t be going up there because it was staff only. My thought was ‘who makes a monumental ramp that everyone is going to want to walk up that leads to a place where we aren’t allowed?’ So we stayed off the second ramp and continued looking around. There was a set of stairs in the back of the store that lead down to an outdoor terrace, which was also very inviting. So a couple of students started to walk down them and we were scolded again for going where we weren’t supposed to go. We started making our way towards the exit down the first ramp we came up and one student reached his hand up to touch the ramp above so see what the material was like, and that apparently wasn’t okay because one of the workers started rushing us out the door with her hands and in fragmented English told us not to come back. So we are standing outside the door to this place and told Ana what happened, and she was not happy. She marched her little self back in there and gave them a piece of her mind. In the mean time we are all watching through the glass façade entrance. After a couple of minutes of her shaking her hands and sternly talking to the employees, she comes back out. Apparently one of the girls thought that we had called her stupid, but Ana told her ‘how could they have called you stupid if they don’t speak Spanish?’ It was a really funny experience, to say the least.


We took the subway back into town to save ourselves a lot of time on a bus, grabbed some dinner, and went back to the hostel. I played a round of euchre with Bryce, Zach, and Paul. Apparently I play euchre very intensely and at a quick speed.

It’s officially been one week since we left the US to come down here. It feels like it has been so much longer. This isn’t the first time I have been away from home or my family for a week. This isn’t the first time I have traveled away for a week. This isn’t the first time I have left the country for a week. But it feels so much different. I’m used to being in what I would consider luxurious environments. I know the people I am around, it is clean, I have my own room, or at least my own bed and own space to retreat to, I am familiar with the food…traveling is a very unique and humbling experience. I’ve started developing these thoughts and habits (like wanting to go sit by myself without people around) and Kristi says that is called being an introvert. This lifestyle is foreign to me, and I don’t understand it. I have never not wanted to be around people! It has been eye opening how spoiled I am at home. I have all of the luxuries I could ever ask for at the tip of my fingers. Air conditioning, soft water, a washer and dryer, a big comfy clean bed, television, a refrigerator full of food…I have to say I can’t wait to get back to that familiarity. But I know this trip will make me a stronger person and I will be able to carry these experiences with me for the rest of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment