Tuesday, June 2, 2015

June 2: 14,222 steps in La Paz, Bolivia

This morning I woke up to discover a couple of the girls had gotten sick overnight. We determined they were having altitude sickness. When we went to breakfast some of the boys were having symptoms too, especially Spodek. We had everything from vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, racing heartrates, dizziness, light headedness, and nausea. Fortunately I only had minor symptoms and was able to do the day’s activities, but some people chose to stay behind.


La Paz is literally in the Andes Mountains, hitting a whopping 12,000 feet above sea level, which explains why so many of us got sick. Some of my classmates described it as a San Francisco, but bigger and with more hills.




We walked around, went to a cathedral, and walked through the market. This is the densest market I have seen yet, with a lot of things tempting me to buy them! Ana said Peru is even better, and to wait to buy our souvenirs there, especially since it is our last stop. I did barter for a painting though, so I was pretty proud of myself for doing that. Many of the shops had dead shriveled up llamas for sale. Apparently they are good luck, but I thought it was kind of disturbing.




This city has a lot of culture to it. The most noticeable thing to me were the cholitas, which are typically older women who still dress in traditional clothing. Big colorful skirts, tall hats, long black braided hair, and a knitted shawl seemed to be the trend. The people in general have a different look to them. They all look more Native American, and are shorter. The little kids are really cute too! They all have round faces and chubby cheeks. Kristi said they remind her a lot of Mongolian babies.



Random side note about my clothing/laundry situation. I did all of my laundry back in Córdoba, which was pretty much the half way point for the trip. So since then I decided I will just not be washing my clothes for the rest of the trip. Washing clothes in the sink/shower is way too much of a hassle and the clothes never dry completely because it is too humid. I will just have to re-wear things and hope for the best! I have been doing a sock and underwear rotation, where I will wear the same pair of socks and underwear for 2 days (don’t judge me) and after I’m done with them I just throw them away. I brought cheap hanes socks and underwear, and I have had them for a while, so I don’t feel bad throwing them out. Plus it makes more room in my bag for souvenirs!

Only 1 week left!

No comments:

Post a Comment