Monday, October 3, 2016

ARCH 642 Koyaanisqatsi

My word to describe the movie Koyaanisqatsi was MESMERIZING.

dictionary definition of mesmerize:
[mez-muh-rahyz]
1. to hypnotize.
2. to spellbind; fascinate.
3. to compel by fascination.

Others words:
enthrall
fascinate
hypnotize
stupefy

Typically when someone is fascinated by something, you assume it is something good. But this movie I think was the exact opposite. It was a series of videos basically showing the metaphorical bad of what was happening in the world at that time. Yet I still couldn't look away. I don't know if it was because I was amazed by what was happening, or anxious for what would show up on the screen next, but I was mesmerized by it none-the-less. I t brought to my attention the issues of our reality at that time, and made me realize what we had done to 'fix' some of the issues, and what we hadn't done to make some of the issues even worse today. I imagine the other movies related to this one show even more relateable things to my lifetime and experience thus far. Regardless, I was still fascinated with what was happening. Kind of like when you watch Criminal Minds or visit a memorial, it is still interesting to learn more about what has happened, even if it is bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment